Thursday, April 3, 2008

Del.icio.us and blogging along

Del.icio.us and libraries, how delicious!

A great way to set up reference bookmarks on public access and staff PCs, and not have to have them saved to Favourites on each PC - just link them to the Del.icio.us site (one place to update) and they can all be classified with tags (not sorted into folders), as per the examples of Cleveland Public Library Recommended Bookmarks (linking off to individual subject Del.icio.us sites, and Sutherland Shire Libraries favourites in Del.icio.us.

For our work area in Technical Services, I currently have various cataloguing related websites bookmarked in my Favourites in Explorer - these could be set up in Del.icio.us so that both staff members who work in this area could access (and add to) the same links.

I plan to experiment with it on my home PC, where I have been madly adding sites to my bookmarks related to my family history research - the tagging feature would make it a lot easier to locate the sites in my current Favourites bookmarks relating to individual family surnames I am researching.

I set up an account in Del.icio.us, and copied my bookmarked sites from my Favourites Fiji folder (where my family is going for a holiday in October) and added tages to these links. If anyone would like to have a look at my Del.icio.us bookmarking site, the link is http://del.icio.us/hmtmartini

No comments: